Monday, August 2, 2010

25 July, 2010

10 pm (New Orleans time)

We crossed a bridge and descended into what appeared to be the French Quarter.
Tight streets, gas lamps, and Christmas lights were everywhere in sight.
We settled into out hotel - small but cool all the same - and set out to explore the streets.
Mom told me that New Orleans was a filthy, dirty town - but that I would love it. Having grown up watching Interview With The Vampire, I wondered if this town had changed much since the time period portrayed in the film.

It didn't. It looked just the same, even in the aftermath of Katrina.
It was dirty, it had little shops that sold voodoo dolls and mardi gras masks, psychics and gypsies were on every corner.
Even at this late hour, our only light being the gas lamps, this city was magical. There truly are no other words for it.

It's times like this that I'm happy my phone's off. I wanted to share this with everyone back at home, but I remembered the feeling from last year - that this was my trip, my time, meant only for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment