Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It's So Cold In Here.

My sister Alissa once asked her boyfriend, Brian, if he had three wishes and what they were.
My mom then asked me if I had three wishes for my eighteenth birthday. Normally I think of at least SOMETHING on the spot like that, but I really couldn't think of anything.

So I sat. And thought. It's weird, because a lot of things I would've wished for in the past have already come true.

--

Past Wish #1 - To be more comfortable with my body.

I admit it: I was the early bloomer. Not the first girl to wear a bra, but the girl that always looked two years older. I remember being extremely self-concious about my body back when I was twelve - always wearing boy's clothes because I felt like those were the only things that fit, wearing huge shirts. It got better once I hit high school, but I still didn't particularly like the way I looked.

And...well, I don't know what happened this past year, but that's totally NOT the case anymore. Maybe I just grew some. Either way, this is my adult body - this is what I am going to look like. It's that simple. And I'm liking it.
I remember how totally shocked I was the other day when I went to the gas station to fill up my car, no makeup on, and the cashier said "You know, you're such a beautiful girl. You've got the eyes and your hair is divoon."

Oh, yeah, and I'm writing this sans pajamas. I sleep that way quite often now, actually.
Get it together, guys that read this blog that might've lost it with that declaration of mine.
...you good, now?


Past Wish #2 - To be in the pit for high school musicals.

I remember going to musicals at Perry for a long time. But the musical that really did it was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
The night I saw Joseph, I remember hearing the music and watching the people on stage, so flamboyant and so fun. I saw Olas Ortwein in the pit, and I thought to myself: "I am SO going to do this in high school."

Sophomore year, Ortwein handed me the viola book for The Wizard of Oz. I was the only violist.
I still have my Oz music.
That musical...that story...will forever hold a special place in my heart. It's hard to describe it in words.

Being in the pit for musicals is such an amazing and wonderful thing. I'm so happy and so grateful that I've become a part of that like I wanted to.

--

So, I don't know what I would wish for now.
I'll have to get back to ya on that one.

I'll get it answered before I leave for New Orleans, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment